Healthy looking hair can be an indicator that you’re practicing the right hair care methods and getting your fill of nutrient-rich foods. While most of us can get sufficient nutrients that the body needs through diet, some of us can lack the essential vitamins and minerals required for luscious healthy hair.
Believe it or not, your scalp has over 100,000 hair follicles that thrive on various minerals, whereby any malnutrition can result in hair colour change, hair weakening and even hair loss. Let’s get to know top tips on how to get thick hair, plus the vitamins and minerals that can support your efforts in maintaining hair health.
Hair Care Tips
We understand the role of vitamins and minerals in maintaining healthy hair, but without basic care for hair, we might not achieve what we set out to do in the first place. Here are some easy hair care tips you can put into practice starting today:
Choosing the right shampoo
If you have coloured your hair, you might want to consider using a shampoo designed for colour-treated hair. If your hair is damaged to a certain degree or chemically treated, consider a 2-in-1 shampoo (19).
Wash oily hair more frequently
The frequency of hair washing you should do depends on the amount of oil that your scalp produces. If your scalp is oily, you could wash it once a day (19).
If you have chemically-treated hair, you may want to wash it less frequently (19).
Another good tip to keep in mind with hair-washing is that the older you get, the less oil is produced by your scalp. So it may be a good idea to reduce the frequency of washing then. However, if you see flakes in your hair, it’s probably because you’re not shampooing enough (19).
Address hair problems
There are certain conditions that impair hair health, but there are also ways to protect it.
Individuals can be affected by hair loss (alopecia) (6), dandruff (7) and monilethrix, whereby individual strands get the appearance of a beaded necklace because of intermittent narrowing of the hair shaft (5).
However, regular use of shampoo and conditioner appropriate for your hair type (17) and good nutrition (18) are all useful for how to get thick hair.
Don’t forget to speak to your dermatologist if you’re experiencing hair or scalp problems.
Get the right nutrients
These, too, help with hair strength, growth and shine: Beta-carotene, vitamins B1, B2, niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), B6, B12, vitamin E, selenium and folate are just some of the nutrients involved in hair health (18).
Other nutrients to help you with hair health are:
Vitable’s cranberry formula includes silica, which supports hair health (8). This mineral is believed to be necessary for the synthesis of collagen, the protein that enhances skin strength and elasticity. According to a study, a deficiency in this mineral induces hair loss (10). Silica has also been found to boost hair thickness, among other benefits for skin and nails (9).
Taking collagen creamer may be a way to get thick hair. This protein is the most prolific in the human body. It makes up connective tissue and is present in bone, skin, muscles, tendons and cartilage. Collagen supplements contain amino acids and other nutrients that support hair health, such as vitamin C, biotin and zinc (11). It is made up primarily of amino acids glycine, proline and hydroxyproline (12), the latter two of which are most abundant in keratin (13), the structural protein forming hair and nails in humans (14).
Also known as vitamin B7, this nutrient plays a role in protein synthesis, particularly keratin. A study demonstrated the positive link between hair and nail growth, and supplementation of this vitamin in biotin-deficient patients. Loading up on this nutrient may be an answer to the question of how to get thick hair as a deficiency has been connected to the thinning or loss of hair (15).
It’s no secret that our hair can influence our overall self-image, and however we choose to have it styled or cut can impact our self identity and self-expression. If you’re looking to increase your hair thickness and growth, remember, a balanced diet, reduced stress and a range of topical, natural products will aid you in improving hair strength, thickness and lustre.
If you are interested in methods for how to get thick hair, or anything related to hair health, consider personalised vitamins tailored to your needs. Vitable vitamins allow you to make your own vitamin plan, which means you can choose which supplements go with your vitamin subscription box. For your convenience, their service includes vitamin delivery in Australia.
*Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional. Vitamin and/or mineral supplements should not replace a balanced diet.
- Park, AM, et. al. “Hair Biology: Growth and Pigmentation.” Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. Published Nov 2018 on 10.1016/j.fsc.2018.06.003. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “What is the structure of hair and how does it grow?” InformedHealth.org. Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care. Published 29 Aug 2019 on https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK65083/. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- Yang, F, et. al. “The structure of people’s hair.” PeerJ. Published 14 Oct 2014 on 10.7717/peerj.619. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “Basic Structure of Hair.” Central Bucks School District. Published 22 Mar 2005 on https://www.cbsd.org/cms/lib010/PA01916442/Centricity/Domain/1870/hair%20info.pdf. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “Monilethrix.” MedlinePlus. Published 18 Aug 2020 on https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/condition/monilethrix/#causes. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “Hair loss.” Mayo Clinic. Published 22 May 2020 on https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hair-loss/symptoms-causes/syc-20372926. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “Dandruff.” Mayo Clinic. Published 21 Sep 2021 on https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dandruff/symptoms-causes/syc-20353850. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “Cranberry.” Vitable. Published on https://research.vitable.com.au/cranberry. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- Lassus, A. “Colloidal silicic acid for oral and topical treatment of aged skin, fragile hair and brittle nails in females.” The Journal of International Medical Research. Published Jul-Aug 1993 on 10.1177/030006059302100406. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- De Araujo, LA, et. al. “Use of silicon for skin and hair care: an approach of chemical forms available and efficacy*.” Anais Brasileiros De Dermatologia (the official publication of the Brazilian Society of Dermatology). Published May-Jun 2016 on 10.1590/abd1806-4841.20163986. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “Collagen.” Harvard School of Public Health. Published on https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/collagen/. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- Wu, M, et. al. “Biochemistry, Collagen Synthesis.” StatPearls. Published 13 Sep 2021 on https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507709/#:~:text=Collagen%20is%20protein%20molecules%20made%20up%20of%20amino,perfect%20matrix%20for%20skin%2C%20tendons%2C%20bones%2C%20and%20ligaments.. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- Strnad, P, et. al. “Unique amino acid signatures that are evolutionarily conserved distinguish simple-type, epidermal and hair keratins.” Journal of Cell Science. Published Dec 2011 on 10.1242/jcs.089516. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “Keratin.” Encyclopedia Britannica. Published 28 Feb 2020 on https://www.britannica.com/science/keratin. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- Patel, DP, et. al. “A Review of the Use of Biotin for Hair Loss.” Skin Appendage Disorders. Published 27 Apr 2017 on 10.1159/000462981. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “What is ‘Good Hair’?” Perception Institute. Published on https://perception.org/goodhair/whatisgoodhair/. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “Tips for healthy hair.” American Academy of Dermatology Association. Published on https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/hair-scalp-care/hair/healthy-hair-tips. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “Nutrition and Hair Health.” The Trichological Society. Published on https://www.hairscientists.org/hair-and-scalp-conditions/nutrition-and-hair-health. Accessed 24 Jan 2022.
- “Tips for healthy hair.” American Academy of Dermatology Association. Published on https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/hair-scalp-care/hair/healthy-hair-tips. Accessed 22 Feb 2022.