We can experience wear and tear in our joints from heavy exercise, the natural ageing process, or general every day movement. It’s only natural for this to happen, so you may want to look into ways on how to keep joints healthy and strong. Doing this can help you remain mobile throughout the day and be able to recover from workouts faster.
The basics of joint pain
Joint pain is the discomfort or pain felt in the joints of our hands, feet, knees, hips, or spine (1, 2). Joint pain can feel stiff, achy, or sore. The sensation may also be felt more intensely in the mornings due to stiffening or lack of movement from sleep.
As we go about our day and our joints experience more movement, their loosening potentially provides some degree of relief. Daily workouts in the form of exercise for joints may also help with soreness.
However, this is not the case for everyone. Increased movement throughout the day, even when not rigorous, may worsen joint pain for some. It helps to speak to a medical professional for what might be the best way to alleviate joint soreness for you.
Common causes of joint pain
There are several common factors that might cause joint pain such as (2, 3):
- Injury (sprains or strains)
- Joint overuse
- Infection (virus or bacterial)
- Other illnesses or chronic medical conditions
The best exercise for joints
Exercise can be a long-lasting method to not only relieve, but also prevent joint pain (4, 5). These exercises are gentle and can be done by anyone regardless of level of physical fitness.
You can consider the best exercises for joint pain relief and prevention listed below:
Range-of-motion exercises are one of the best forms of exercise for joints because they can be performed without that much effort or strain (5). They usually include movements such as raising your arms, rolling your head, or rotating your knees and shoulders.
Strengthening exercises work by building muscles that protect your joints. Lifting light weights, for example, can increase your muscle mass and strength (5). Be careful not to overdo strengthening exercises, especially if you have just started doing them to avoid exacerbating your muscles and joints injury.
Aerobic exercises are ideal for improving your overall health, stamina, and cardiovascular strength (5). If you are experiencing joint pain, it’s best to choose low-impact cardio activities like biking or swimming. Done regularly, it is one of the best forms of exercise for joints, to keep healthy and prevent joint pain.
Mineral and vitamin supplements to complement exercise for joints
The best way to ensure you receive sufficient nutrients for the body is through a well-rounded diet. You can also consider pairing supplementation with your healthy diet and lifestyle.
Key minerals and vitamins play specific roles in joint health, with five of the best choices listed below:
Vitamin C has the potential to relieve joint pain in the knees as it is known to contribute to the maintenance of joint cartilage health (7).
Curcumin has been shown to relieve mild joint aches and pains (8). This element, which is found in the spice turmeric, helps relieve inflammation. Inflammation is a common culprit of joint soreness that can result in swelling.
A study has shown how fish oil has been known to improve the conditions of patients who suffer from joint pain (9). Its most potent health properties are considered effective anti-inflammatories.
Research has found that cranberries can reduce and relieve joint pain (10), while also enhancing joint and joint cartilage health.
Joint pain can cause us long-lasting discomfort. With proper exercise coupled with the right vitamins and nutrients, we could easily prevent joint pain from taking away from us living active and fulfilling lives.
As life gets busier in modern times, taking the time to keep track of all the vitamins and minerals needed for the body gets tougher to do. Luckily with Vitable vitamins, you don’t need to worry. Our supplement subscription plan allows you to get the best vitamin packs that are tailored to you, right at your doorstep. These packs can cover other areas of health as well as keeping your joints healthy.
Find out more about other areas that the above supplements can help you with:
*Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional. Vitamin and/or mineral supplements should not replace a balanced diet.
- Joint Pain (2021), Accessed October 9, 2021 from https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/joint-pain/basics/definition/sym-20050668
- Joint Pain (2018), Accessed October 9, 2021 from https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/symptoms/17752-joint-pain
- Joint Pain and Swelling (2021), Accessed October 9, 2021 from https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/joint-pain-and-swelling
- The Secret to Joint Pain Relief -- Exercise (2014), Accessed October 9, 2021 from https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/the-secret-to-joint-pain-relief-exercise
- Exercise Helps Ease Arthritis Pain and Stiffness (2020), Accessed October 9, 2021 from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/arthritis/in-depth/arthritis/art-20047971
- Low Magnesium Intake is Associated with Increased Knee Pain in Subjects with Radiographic Knee Osteoarthritis: Data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative (2018), Accessed October 9, 2021 from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29454594/
- Vitamin C May Help to Reduce the Knee’s Arthritic Symptoms, Outcomes Assessment of Nutraceutical Company (2019), Accessed October 9, 2021 from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6643354/
- Therapeutic Role of Cucumin: Lessons Learned from Clinical Trials (2012), Accessed October 9, 2021 from https://link.springer.com/article/10.1208%2Fs12248-012-9432-8
- The Effect of Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Patients with Active Rheumatoid Arthritis Receiving DMARDs Therapy: Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial (2016), Accessed October 9, 2021 from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4965662/
- Cranberry Juice Decreases Disease Activity in Women with Rheumatoid Arthritis (2018), Accessed October 9, 2021 from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30553231/